Friday, April 18, 2014

Life With(out) Archie

Source: www.departmentofuseless.blogspot.com
It was a quiet day at the Chok’lit Shoppe. The place seemed empty except for the lone figure of Pop Tate hunched behind the already gleaming kitchen counter, swabbing away the tiny salty drops that kept trickling down onto it. He would have been at it all day had he not heard the main door creak open and silent footsteps make way to the farthest table in the room. Their favourite corner, the table they sat at, sometimes all day; taking his advice or driving him up the wall. 

But today was different. One of the chairs would be empty. He had spent hours standing at the table that morning wondering whether to remove the chair but then it had always been there. It would always be there. 

He glanced outside straining his teary eyes, catching a glimpse of blonde and long black hair as he turned back to his cleaning. The door had opened again, this time it didn't take him long to recognize the heaviness in the footstep; he immediately turned towards the stove to grill an enormous hamburger for the latest entry. But the footsteps had stopped, not as usual near his counter, sloppily calling out the order, but at that corner table. A routine of decades had just been broken by his hungriest customer. The crown like beanie hat which he abhorred was missing from the boy’s head; it was a day of firsts as far as this fella was concerned he thought, tears now flowing down his cheeks, wetting his perfectly maintained mustache.  

Source: www.rollingstone.com
Pop wondered if he should go say hello to his favourite people but for once his feet wouldn't move. The door opened again, but not with the brashness or the force the folks entering usually opened it with. With drooped shoulders, the three trudged in. Trio, they were today- The big “Duh” boy, his long time girlfriend and the conceited guy who always chased her around. The door had almost closed shut when the tiny little nerd walked in with their athlete friend and his girl friend. All trooped towards the corner table, joining the rest of the gang. He looked at the door waiting for it to open one last time and he wasn't disappointed. In walked a tall lanky girl and went straight to the boy she had adored years before but had never been with. Before anyone could react, they had engulfed in a hug and burst into tears.

He couldn't believe his eyes anymore. For years he had watched his favourite group of people and the relationships they shared. The brawls that took place and the brickbats that flew. The friendship that developed and the love that bloomed. The animosity between rivals and their patch ups too. He had seen them bitch and later cry on each others shoulders, sometimes even lending his own. But never had he seen them all so quiet and silent. 

He closed his eyes hoping it was all a bad dream. Slowly he opened them, praying fervently to see what he had seen all these years, them laughing and joking at their favourite table in the farthest corner of his cafe. But that was not to be. Amid the stillness, all his eyes could see was the empty chair where once sat their red haired freckled friend, the one whose absence had destroyed the world as they had all always known it to be.



This post is a small tribute to Archie, the lovable yet accident prone and confused boy we all grew up with. Come July 2014, Archie will be dying a heroic death while saving a friend.



Top post on IndiBlogger.in, the community of Indian Bloggers

56 comments:

  1. This was such a beautiful and fitting tribute to one of the most loved comic characters of all time. Anybody who has read a few comics of this series can easily relate to and sympathize with this post of yours Seeta. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jairam. With this news I feel as if a small bit of me is being taken away.. my teenage would never have been the same without this series

      Delete
  2. This reminds me of my collection on the book shelf. Am gonna pick one and revel in nostalgia. Seeta, I remember sketching Betty's face in my note book. Archie, you will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep that collection close to your heart Alka.. I am desperately browsing online to buy a few copies before the print editions disappear from all possible shelves.

      Delete
  3. Hope there is a rethink and Archie escapes death!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Jiju! I know how much this comics means to you too :)

      Delete
  5. Great tribute. I only heard of Archie after marrying my husband (he is Indian). He also has fond memories of this character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia, thanks for stopping by. Yes, I guess a lot of us here in India grew up on them :)

      Delete
  6. I have read very few Archie's comics, but it was a regular with my friends. Your post brought back all those fond memories of school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were fun, esp. the Betty & Veronica's and Jughead ones :)

      Delete
    2. Come to think of it, I guess they opened the doors to the western culture influence on the Indian teens.. no?

      Delete
  7. I did read a few and liked them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember them being a rage during our time.. not sure how it is now though

      Delete
  8. Really touching, Seeta. This post shows your love. Even I love Archie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I liked them alright :) Hope to pick one up one of these days to relive those moments

      Delete
  9. Who could ever forget that boy..the confused one...always in a dilemma between Veronica or Betty :-(...he is a part and parcel of my childhood and adolescence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know.. I guess for many of us whether we have read them or not, they have always been there as a part of the growing up years

      Delete
  10. You know I still can't believe it! I really hope they rethink this....Hmph! I loved him...I loved Archie's and so did my Dad! So many memories of sharing this comic with Papa.....Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow now that's an awesome feeling I am sure:)

      Delete
  11. If it was in Indian TV they would have somehow created a replica of that character.

    Hmm.. I too will be sad to see him go. I am not a huge fan of him but I did spend a few lovely evenings of my college days with him. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe true that. I am sure we would have a soap based on it :)

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. I hear you Poornima.. thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  13. Hi! Thanks for coming over and visiting my blog, Seeta. I'm glad I followed the link here

    I have a niggling feeling that it will all turn out to be someone's bad dream after all. Like the wedding issues, remember those? They turned out to be collectors' issues and I'm sure, so will this. They can't really do away with Archie, can they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that Sunita :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  14. Like my young daughters decades back I was an Archie fan and read the books that they bought/collected.But all good things come to their end some time or the other.They may find a new character to replace the void suited to the modern times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir, it was wonderful to know that you loved them so much. My dad would do that too, whenever we picked them up, he would read with us :)

      Delete
  15. I think for most of us, Archies comics meant a world we could only imagine. A school with a cafeteria, high school fun, no uniforms, two girls fighting for the affections of one ordinary guy. And most of the girls related to Betty. But like Mills and Boon, we all outgrew it after a certain age.

    I was always and still am an Asterix fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that. WellI am a Tintin and Asterix fan as well :) Esp. Asterix, scores over the rest any day.

      Delete
  16. To me, Archie defines my childhood and to some extend my teens. No train journey (any any long distance journey) would be complete without an Enid Blyton or an Archie. And it would appear that Ms.Bodke, you and I have more books (often that people term as silly) in common than we think we do :)
    A very nice tribute to Archie. I just hope they finally throw that Jalopy of his away :P
    And to be honest, I secretly also think this might just be a marketing ploy to increase the sales :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean :) and I love it when I have so much in common with someone as far as books are concerned.
      You know what I was thinking of including the Jalopy and Hot Dog into this too. And you are right, its been ages since I thought of Archie, if this is a marketing gimmick, it sure has worked :P

      Delete
  17. Well written!! I wasn't a huge fan of Archie, but this tribute made me sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fab! That sure is a compliment for me :)

      Delete
  18. Lovely tribute Seeta ! Though its been a while since I have read Archie, there was a time when Archie digests was a rage during my growing up years. Your story brought the whole thing alive for me. Hard to see comic figures die though.. dont understand why it had to be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ash! Have been away travelling quite a bit so took me a while to get back. I agree, I loved those years and still like you cannot fathom why they want to kill him off :(

      Delete
  19. I was not a big fan of Archie..he was only my last resort when all other interesting books were taken from the library. Yet..feels sad to hear of his impending death..:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess whether we liked him or not, he was a part of our childhood. Thanks for stopping by Preethi :)

      Delete
  20. Yeah, I came across this news items a few days back and couldn't believe it! Are they really going to end it. Archie and his gang kept me entertained during those hot summer days and I fell in love with Archie even though I had a crush on Jughead. I will miss the Riverdale gang and you have captured the emotions so aptly in this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still hoping they change theur plan :) But I agree, I liked Jughead the most too :)

      Delete
  21. That was a lovely tribute to what I can only think of as lunacy on the -part of the people who decided to kill Archie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suresh.. I am so glad you agree

      Delete
  22. His going away will not be easy for many. Your post refreshed many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Are they killing off Archie? So sad. I used to enjoy those comics too. Jughead used to be my favorite character . But I guess Archie is suited the twentieth century and somehow can't relate to a twenty first century Archie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup and I am so glad you liked Jughead too.. but you are right, I was thinking of picking up one of the more recent comics to check how it is.. whether it suits the newer generations or not

      Delete
  24. huh?! They are killing Archie off?!

    I love Archie comics and read them even today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Hema :) I need to get my hands on one soon!

      Delete
  25. I simply cant believe they are killing Archie off. It like telling a kid there is no Santa !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Ruchira! But I guess like Karthik said, the newer generation might not look at it the way we do..

      Delete
  26. Seeta, my first time visiting your blog...and what a heartbreaking post to start with. I think all of us have grown up with some level of attachment with the Freckled Ginger. I am so surprised that the writers of the comic saw no other option to move the story along than by killing him off!

    Great post. Heartfelt, without being sappy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Rickie! Yup, thanks to this post I realized that we all have a soft spot for him. I hope you enjoy the time you spend on my page :)

      Delete
  27. Those good old days of comics and all .. and what will the comis series be without ARchie ... na it wont work

    Bikram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good old days they were :) Thanks for stopping by Bikramjit!

      Delete
  28. Archies came into my life in my late 30s when my older son began reading them and then I kept a look out for second hand shops and those comics to build his collection and we both fought over them to be the first to read one :) I haven't read the later ones but it is callous of the creators to kill Archie, no matter what the reason.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...