Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Book Review: Mango Chutney

Source: www.amazon.in

Anthology was not a word that made it to my most used word list earlier. Other than the Chicken Soup for the Soul series, there weren't many that caught my eye either. But in the recent few months, especially since I took to Writing, if there has been one thing that I have been crossing paths with, it has been Anthologies. There are too many of them mushrooming all over; wherever I look there is an Anthology staring back at me; they all seemed the same, not really making me sit up but that was until Mango Chutney came along.

I stopped and gave it a second look. Not only because I had the privilege of knowing a few of the Authors who had contributed to it but because of the fine way in which they had marketed its launch; it had been a lot more enticing and teased the reader into laying their hands on the first copy that was made available. I did just that; so did many others confirming how successful the promotions and campaigns were.

Given the marketing that was done and the teasers that had tormented the reader in me, my expectations were high from this Chutney which proclaimed itself to be an Anthology of tasteful short fiction. It did taste good in bits and pieces but it also had moments that left a sour taste in the mouth.

The Chutney has many ingredients ranging from Romance, Friendship, Birthdays and Sweets to Deceit, Hypocrisy, the Partition, Horror and even Sci Fi and cooking an egg thrown in for good measure. An array of diverse fiction; there were a few stories that stood out for me purely for the tight narration and the ability of the Author to convey what they wanted to, with the right amount of emphasis on both the language as well as the emotion in the tale.

The 37th Milestone by Abhishek Asthana – Writing a Horror story and being able to make a shiver run down the Readers spine is no mean task to achieve. Abhishek does it well with this story especially with the suspense he builds and does not let go off till the very end.

Tainted Red by Aathira Jim – Having been a regular reader of Aathira’s blog, I found this story to be immensely different from her usual style. She did a wonderful job in evoking the emotions and intensity of what her protagonist feels and goes through in a distant land. The depth she gave to her protagonist’s character stayed with me even after I had moved on to the next piece in the series.

The Birthday Boy by Harsha Pattnaik – This piece stood out not only for its narration but also for the fact that it oozed out of the pen of a fourteen year old. I doubt many of us could have written as well as Harsha has at this age. This girl will surely go places.

Someone with Character by Alka Gurha – A simple story but one that holds true even today in India. Having come across similar characters I could relate to Alka’s narrative all the more. Despite the issue she brings out in this tale being an age old one, her narration and flow of the story tugged at the heart for me.

Prem Ki Chashni by Sudhanshu Shekhar Pathak – A very sweet story told with a tightly held narration despite it being a translation from Hindi to English, this story made me smile all throughout. The credit for the effective translation must go to Harsh Sudhanshu as well.

There were a few others which I enjoyed reading; especially Angels and Demons by Purba Ray, The Perfectly Poached Egg by Ramya Maddali, The Girl Who Owned Castles by Giribala Joshi, Vaman by Rohit Gore and On the Other Side by Sakshi Nanda. However if not for giving me a “this is already tried and tested” or "could there have been more to it?" feeling, some of them left me wanting for more emotion rather than just words from the tales. What did stand out for me among these was the narration style that Purba Ray adopted; it was entirely different from the styles the remaining twenty six had used in this Anthology and would have worked really well if it had been more tightly coupled and descriptive. 

These were the moments I truly enjoyed in this book but unfortunately there were times when I felt let down.
Some of the stories that I came across left me wondering not only about the narration but about the stories themselves thus not really making the cut for me. While all were structured in a similar format, I was taken aback by a Moral being added to one of them, it made me look back and forth wondering if all of the twenty seven were meant to have them; somehow it stood out like a sore thumb.

From an editing standpoint, I wish some more effort was put in avoiding simple typographical errors, while I tried ignoring them, they were proving to be quite a hindrance at some places, sometimes even threatening to take away the essence from the stories. Some of the metaphors used across the book also seemed forced and did not relate to the point being made, making me wonder if the story would have been more emphatic with their absence.


Having said that; Mango Chutney is a wonderful platform that brought out talent which otherwise might have taken longer to be discovered. A onetime read, I would recommend this book to those who wish to read tales based in India and want to experience the potential of the Indian Author of tomorrow coming to the surface.

53 comments:

  1. Interesting review Seeta. And very honest. Thank you!
    If I do end up writing a book - I hope to get reviewed by you. It will give an author an honest chance to improve, reflect and make changes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is a wonderful thing to say to a Reviewer. thanks so much Pixie :)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful review, Seeta. You have not just been honest, but you have qualified your opinion very well too. It comes from your own understanding of writing.
    Thanks a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sakshi. I always thing honesty goes a long way in helping myself and others as well :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with Pixie..very honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honest, comprehensive review Seeta. It's my birthday today and this the first present I get in the morning. Treasure it. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeta ji - I'm going to hijack this for a min - Happy Birthday Alka :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Alka. You already know how much I liked your narration. And once again Happy Birthday, I am glad I put this review up today :)

      Delete
    3. Thank you Seeta and Sid Ji. :)

      Delete
  5. Fabulous review, Seeta. I see that you and Sid concurred on most points. Very neatly done and honest. Look forward to reading my copy :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realized that we did concur on quite a few.. a few things do stand out in this collection of stories; good as well as the not so good stuff.. awaiting to hear what you have to say :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely honest review as usual Seeta. I really need to place that order now. Looking forward to read so many of these stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think of them Jaibala :)

      Delete
  7. Darn...you were much more honest that I was :) Jokes aside, lovely review Seeta. People could definitely take a leaf or two out of your book of reviewing. Honest yet not condescending. Perfect mix. Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, now that is a compliment! Got two of the best things said to the Reviewer in me today. Yippiee :)
      Well, I see no point in reviewing a book if I do not call out what did not work for me. At the same time I do not see any value in condescending anyone for it, tomorrow I might be in the same boat no? :P

      Delete
  8. Brilliant review. You were honest and book reviews these are are rarely so, especially because you are friends with the writer.
    I am happy that you are different.
    Cant wait to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do read and let me know what you think Red. I read the book for the book and not the Author is behind it. :)

      Delete
  9. Geez, now that the word honest has been done to death I need to say something different :p

    I'm glad you didn't say, I expected humour from Purba. Thank you for writing such a well-balanced review :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I told you, I don't like to stereotype a Writer just because of a Genre they are good in.. they need to have the freedom to experiment.. :)

      Delete
  10. Thanks so much for the review, Seeta! You have made my day :) I do agree with the others, your reviews are honest and straight from your heart. There's no sugarcoating whatsoever. But at the same time, they let the readers know what can be expected from the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)... been hearing a lot of it today and I am glad because my intention has always been to be honest and straightforward

      Delete
  11. Loved that line about emotion - what I have always said 'The main difference between good fiction and good non-fiction is that the former should make people feel while the latter should make people think.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, there were some stories in this Anthology which could have tugged a few strings for me, made me even shed a tear maybe. had it not been for the lack of emotion.. the language told me that it was meant to be packed with emotion but unfortunately I could not feel any of it.

      Delete
    2. Hmm Yes! The emotion can be curiosity, amazement and other such more intellect-related emotions as much as fear, sorrow, joy and other such heart-related ones :)

      Delete
    3. Absolutely. You know what? Any of the three stories from Sirens Spell Dangers would have fit in rather well as well :)

      Delete
    4. Thank God! I thought 'Sirens spell danger' was also one of those mushrooming ones that so vexed you :P

      Btw, fit in where? In NOT evoking emotions? :)

      Delete
  12. Once again a great review. It makes me want to get my copy, especially when it has so many names that are popular in the blogging world. Thanks, Seeta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do that... the familiar names was one of the reasons I picked it up too :)

      Delete
  13. This is the second review in two days and has piqued my curiosity further ! I agree with you, the stories that I always remember are the ones with the right amount of emotions sprinkled in a well written plot. Great Review Seeta, specially since anthologies with their diverse genres are so difficult to review !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup.. as Suresh says above, the reader should 'feel' the story.. I was hesitant to review it at first for the very reason you pointed out but then thought I should try my hand at it. Glad it worked :)

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the review, Seeta! And you write so well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giribala, that means a lot. Would appreciate any feedback you might have as well :)

      Delete
  15. balle balle wowow the book has some stories from a few of the bloggers who i really admire and know too Alka mam, purba mam and Sakshi (I wont say mam as she has banned me from saying that ) :)

    thank you for the lovely review :) I do need to buy this one and i like a book which has little stories , my patience runs out pretty fast so i cant read a whole book at one go .. this fits in nicely read a story a day :)

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and it does feel good when you know the Authors who have contributed to a book :) Do read it, i know how your patience is when it comes to long stories :P

      Delete
  16. Sita, quite an honest review here. Seeing this book flashed in my newsfeed quite often, I was wondering whether to pick it up or not as I avoid reading books by bloggers! But your review piques my curiosity and perhaps I will try this out.

    This review was quite a balanced one which gave equal importance to the pros and cons and dissecting the work for the reader to perceive whether to read this or not. Thanks.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been hearing the honesty bit quite a lot and frankly I appreciate it. All I tried to do was pen down my reaction to the book but at the end of the day to each his own. What I found to be the not so good elements might be someone else's favourites... so I think you should give it a go :)

      Delete
  17. A very balanced review Seeta! I have been wanting to read it! Maybe will pick it up when I am visiting India later this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Rajrupa, do give it a go, its a wonderful thing to see fellow bloggers inching their way up the Publishing ladder :)

      Delete
  18. I have to have the copy of this book. Loved the review Seeta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jas, let me know once you read it :)

      Delete
  19. More than wanting to know about the book, it is your review that is delightful to read that makes me look forward to them. You are the best reviewer I have come across so far sita. Have you tried having your books reviews published in print?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, that made me feel so good :) Nope, my reviews are usually just limited to the books I read.. basically to pen down my thoughts of the books.

      Delete
  20. Very well penned and hope to lay my hands and read this collection of stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, do pick it and let me know what you think :)

      Delete
  21. Interesting review and seeing so many bloggers in the author list.... I think should pick this one... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it gives a different thrill when you know the ones who have written in the book :)

      Delete
  22. This one looks promising, Seeta :) Even nicer as we "know" some of the writers :) Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what I just said to Mani above ::)

      Delete
  23. Good review Seeta. After having Sids and your review, I now have a good handle on what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A really well balanced review. With so many known bloggers in the book, I guess I have to pick this book sometime anyways and form my own opinion which would most likely match with yours going by how you have qualified everything you have expressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take that as a compliment Fool. would love to hear what you have to say

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...