Saturday, August 09, 2014

The Necklace - Conclusion

Source: www.jewelgleams.com
This is part of an ongoing story, read Part 1 , Part 2 and Part 3 if you haven't already.

Anand was at his wits end. It was Wednesday night and he still did not see a solution in sight. This was the first time a case had left him confused. Not one suspect seemed to have had reason to steal the necklace. Bela would have anyways got it, why would she steal it? Champa had already ordered a piece, she was surely not the one. Poor Geeta, she would not have been able to wear it anyways, there was no reason for her to take it. Devendra could have staged it to make it look like a theft so that he could gift the piece to Bela; even if that was true how could he prove it? Even if he did, how easy was it going to be to tell the family what had really happened? He had run out of time and was now on the verge of giving up entirely.
Just as he decided to speak to Ajeet about his failure, he heard the door swing open.

“Any luck?” It was Ajeet looking at him hopefully. Devendra stood silently behind him.
“I am sorry to disappoint you, but nobody seems to have done this, noone had a motive to do it!” Anand’s voice broke as he spoke the words, he wished he didn’t have to.

“Its ok” said Ajeet. “For me the good news is that none of my family members are guilty. If you had concluded that, it would have been tough to handle. Let us just assume that Devendra misplaced the piece. We will look for it as soon as tomorrow’s function gets over. You did your best and we cant thank you enough for it” saying that, he gave him a hug and continued “Take some rest, tomorrow will be tiring. You leave by afternoon right? I heard you are not staying for the entire function?”

Yes, I have some work back home, I need to leave early” In the midst of all this, Anand had forgotten that Jyoti’s fees were due in two days. He had to be home by nightfall to speak to her.

Devendra thanked him for his help and both brothers walked out of the room. Once again he noticed, Devendra had been unable to look him in the eyes.
The house was full of activity the next day. Guests were coming in alarming numbers; the house had been decorated with marigold and jasmine flowers. A huge cake was placed in the center of the living room, to be cut later in the day by Daadiji. Anand had already packed his suitcase, it hadnt taken him long given the few things he had brought with him. He had hardly got time to spend with Manav thanks to the necklace episode, so he decided to look for him.

“Anand Mama, where are you going? Will you not spend some time with me?” This boy had a way of turning up at the right moment he thought smilingly, turning around and giving him a hug.
“Yes beta, show me that new video game you were talking about” he said, tugging Manav to come along.
“Yes but before that, Ma is calling you, I shall bring my game here and wait” said Manav and left the room with a sprint.

When Anand got back, he found Manav waiting for him in his room. Geeta had called him for some very small thing which she needn’t have bothered, he thought she must have been feeling guilty about the revelations he had got to know during those two days.

After playing for a while with the video game, Anand went around meeting everyone and finally took their leave. Geeta and Manav walked him upto the gate and insisted he take an Auto to the bus stand. Geeta had already got one arranged for him through Bhaanu.

As Anand made his trip back home, he felt disappointment. For the first time in his life he had not been able to solve a case. He was still flummoxed by the incidents of the past two days. He couldn't tell what it was that he had missed. But he was sure there was a missing link to the entire story. He got home, tired and exhausted. Rajni made him some tea and then took his bag to unpack.

Sipping his tea, once again Anand was lost in his thoughts, trying to fit the pieces of the puzzle together when he heard Rajni scream. Immediately he ran into the bedroom and found her standing next to his suitcase with an envelope in one hand and the necklace in the other!
“What is this Anand? Where did you get it? Did you steal it from Didi’s house? How could you” she was beyond control.

“Relax Rajni, do you really think I could do that? Let me see whats there in the envelope, I think there has been some misunderstanding”. Quickly he tore open the envelope and read the letter that was inside.

Dear Bhaiyya,
We are sorry for the trouble that you were put through in the last two days. Your culprit is none other than your nephew Manav. Let me explain. The day you arrived, Manav was hiding in his hiding place in the living room, as usual observing what was happening around him. He had seen those glances that Bela and Devendra exchanged and knew then that the necklace his Papa had purchased was not for me. Manav has maturity beyond his age, having seen so many things around him, he is able to understand things much better than most fifteen year old's can.

Later in the day when I sent him to get you a set of fresh linens, he overheard the conversation between you and me.Earlier he had also been a witness to the argument I had with Devendra on lending you money. So the poor boy put two and two together and decided to take the necklace and give it to you so that you could fund Jyoti’s education. 

Please do not ever think of returning this. Devendra apologized to me last night, the loss of the necklace had scared him beyond measure that he and Bela would be found out. That’s when he realized how out of line he had been and how this could affect Manav’s life. Manav came to me this morning and confessed what he had done. Though it was wrong, the thought behind it was genuine. I have reprimanded him for this and he has promised never to do it again. On getting to know, I informed Devendra immediately. Thanks to the scare he got, he has now changed to some extent. He felt it was for the best, if the necklace now went away from this house.

Please use it to pay of your debts as well. It should be enough, if it isn't, Devendra has said he will help out. This incident has been a silver lining for all of us. I hope you see it the way I do as well.

Your loving sister
Geeta

Dazed, Anand handed the letter to Rajni and slumped back on the bed. Just then Jyoti came charging in the room and asked with a desperate look on her face “Papa, were you able to arrange the money for the admission fees?”  

Anand hesitated for a long moment and then said “Yes beta, it has all been arranged, don’t you worry about that”

Finally, he thought. Jyoti would become a doctor. 



Correction: Ajeet and Champa have been referred to as Manav's Chacha and Chachi when in essence they should be referred to as his Tau and Tayi resp.. Despite the realization I have decided to leave the addressal as it was to ensure consistency and not confuse the reader.   

42 comments:

  1. I loved how you had me guessing who had done it. So technically it was stolen and wasn't. :) Loved the story Seeta and your narration was spot on as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaibala, its always good to have you around for the feedback and thoughts :)

      Delete
  2. wow...I really liked the way it all came together in the end..thank god it was not Devendra..I would not have been convinced :-) great job, Seeta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it would have been too cliched had it been him.. overall did not mean this to be a thriller either :)

      Delete
  3. awww.. what a beautiful ending! I loved it!!
    it was stolen and yet it wasn't!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three of you just mentioned that, you know I really hadn't thought of it that way :P

      Delete
  4. Excellent end - and I love happy endings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe.. I intentionally kept this straightforward, wasn't meant to be a edge of the seat, nail biting whodunit one... :)

      Delete
  5. Very good story Seeta. I was looking forward to reading the ending. Excellent narration too. Keep writing. Waiting for more stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anjali, trying my hand at various types, so hope to put up more. Its always nice to see my non blogger friends read and comment :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely ending, liked how you managed to close out the loose endings quite well without necessarily incriminating anybody from the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I do wonder if that would help in a more complicated story line... feel good can sometimes get cliched too right?

      Thanks Jairam :)

      Delete
  7. That was a superb ending Seeta. When I began reading this part, I thought Geeta might have taken and hidden it away in Anand's suitcase without his knowledge.
    But the way you have tied the loose ends is simply great.
    I thoroughly enjoyed this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That thought had crossed my mind too, then I thought Manav is least likely to be taught of so made him do it. Thanks Aarthy :)

      Delete
  8. An excellent ending to the superb tale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rajrupa :) I was offline for the last two days, saw that you have put up one as well. stopping by there today :)

      Delete
  9. Seeta, good ending, and I am so glad that I got it right :). Though a bit simplistic especially about Devendra turning the leaf, yet it was a feel good ending. Good job with the tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did:) I kept it very simple this time, it was more of trying out a simple story and gauging the reaction to it... what I have noticed off late is that people look for a twist in everything so thought of doing a simple one just to understand what kind of thoughts it generates.

      Delete
  10. Phew! Finished reading the entire series in one go. The many names got a tad confusing. Had to scroll up and down to recall who was who. Missed the suspense but loved the feel good ending :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I expected the names to get a bit confusing and the story was meant to lack suspense :)
      I intentionally kept it simple, my aim being to experiment with this sort of fiction - keeping both the story and narration as simple as I could.

      Thanks Purba!

      Delete
  11. Alls well that ends well. So no one actually stole the necklace. I can't think of anyone who has successfully tried this genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alka.. wanted to try my hand at a simple story line, glad it worked fine , your words always mean a lot :)

      Delete
  12. Aha! I love it when I can say - I knew it :) I enjoyed the narration and the richness of detail you provided throughout. Very well done, Seeta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you had guessed it :) Wanted to keep this one simple and see how it worked. Thanks Beloo

      Delete
  13. Nice narration Seeta ! And I liked the way you have put the Marwari family together.
    Read all of them together as I normally don't prefer reading it in parts :) I had come to the same conclusion that it was either Manav or Geeta who had taken it to fund him..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, actually was expecting everyone to conclude that :)

      Delete
  14. Ahh loved the ending....Loved how you narrated the story...Kept me hooked..I was thinking in my head that maybe Geeta took it to help him...But never could have guessed that Manav had taken it...
    Good one :)

    Random Thoughts Naba - I'm Blank Because...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks Naba, glad it kept you engaged enough, I was worried about that with this story..

      Delete
  15. All's well that end's well, is it not? A simple story executed really well. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it shouldn't be so always though no? becomes too cliched :P
      Thanks Sid, coming from you thats a big thing. I still think it was a tad bit too simple, need to experiment more

      Delete
  16. Didn't see that one coming, Seeta! I'm glad that I got to read all 4 parts at once. This one is different from your usual writing style. As much as I enjoyed it, I have a soft corner for the Lady in Black in my heart :) Hope you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My usual writing style.. now that is interesting and makes me curious. Pray tell me what it is :)
      No problem, everyone have their favourites, my idea is to just experiment and learn :)

      Delete
  17. it was MANAV.. Oh no but i liked it the way it ended .. jyothi would getto be a doctor and alls well that ends well..

    what a lovely narration and i am glad i dont have patience and came over to read :) sorry for the short crisp comment on the previous post ...

    i love stories that end happy , I am sure everyone else also does, but my theory is life as such is a hardship at least the stories should end happy always :)

    enjoyed reading all the parts .. first i read part 1 and 2 together and now these two together :)

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely... life doesnt always throw happy endings our way.. this was a rather simple piece... you will find a lot more experiments on my blog in the near future :)

      Delete
  18. Sheer excellence.. i had a cup of coffee in my hand when i started reading the tale ! and damn.. It still is in my hands without even a sip gulped into my stomach..
    hats off madamme ! Glad i read it all in one go..
    Keep up the good work..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) hope to have more out soon..

      Delete
  19. That is an unexpected but a very nice ending !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruchira.. it was one of the many experiments I hope to make :)

      Delete
  20. Read all the parts in one go....wonderful story but I would like Geeta to get backbone :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was an interesting tale. Initially it seemed as if it would become a detective tale but it turned out different. Well narrated.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Already I have read three of your stories today all having an unexpected twist at the end, where did you learn this art of surprising the readers???????

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...