Monday, May 12, 2014

Aisa Desh Hai Mera...


Already dueling with the hot sweltering heat, I let out a cry when a rough hand caught my arm and pushed me to the side. As the freshly dug scratches turned a darker shade of red, I looked up angrily to watch a plump lady dressed in black proudly beckoning her kin to the front of the line. To the spot she had now claimed to be hers in the unruly 'queue' that had formed, waiting for the gates to open.

Cursing under my breath, I glared at the woman from behind my sun glasses but to no avail. She had long forgotten me. There was not much to expect from a woman who wore all black on a hot summer day, I told myself, shifting my gaze to the rusty lock that adorned the still shut gate.

As I watched the Jawan fiddle with the key, I found myself moving forward, pushed and jostled towards the gate even before it had opened. I braced myself, waiting for the inevitable crash into the wrought iron that stood tall in front of me, but the heavens took mercy and the gates flew open just as the crowd started to topple over.

They were running all around as if the world had been set on fire. Maybe it had, I might have failed to see. So I joined the maddening crowd, letting out a triumphant glee each time I overtook and got nearer to the security check kiosk. A frivolous check and a few more huffs and puffs later, we were seated in the gallery, glad to have found almost 'front row' seats to watch the ceremony. 

Happy and elated I sat there, perched on my step, eagerly looking forward to what would be store next. The imagery had already started to form in my mind; the crisp and smart looking Jawans steadily marching towards the border holding their heads up with our national flag soaring high. The feeling of patriotism was overflowing in my mind and heart, wetting the eye every now and then.


The lady who stamped my hand and stood in my face
As I reveled in the moment, I felt a knee sharply jab into my back and that of my niece’s almost pushing us off our painfully attained seats. I turned around to find young girls perching on their knees in the middle of those seated, doing their best to knee us out. The unruliness could have been ignored had it not been aimed at an innocent seven year old.

Politely, I asked them to stop only to be told “ladka to nahi hoon na jo tumhe chhed raha hai, chup chaap aage dekho” (I am not a boy molesting you, keep quiet and look ahead). With sheer disbelief we stared at the young girl who seemed to be a part of a college group. She glared at us and the little one before clawing her way through to the front to demonstrate her pelvic calisthenics on the patriotic songs that were playing. For us the songs were an expression of patriotism, for her and many like her, it was a mean to gyrate their bodies to. Disgusted, we did our best to ignore the pushes and the shoves and waited impatiently for the ceremony to start.

It finally did, but with it, the animal behaviour we had already got a glimpse of dipped to another low. Women of all age, heights and weights, descended upon those seated and roughed their way forward. A perfectly sensible looking lady stamped over my hand before positioning herself right in my face to enjoy her view of the ceremony. That she had hijacked someone else’s was a matter that didn't matter. She was not alone, despite multiple requests to maintain decorum, each and everyone ignored. They had all grown paws and claws within minutes.

Frustrated, we tried out best to peek through the sticky arms and backs that seemed plastered to our faces and bodies. Despite being that close, we were way too far. Taking our minds off the brutishness we saw in front of us, we sat down amidst the sea of legs that seemed to think stamping every soul was their given birthright.

The 'On-Demand' Toilet
This was the end, I told myself. It would soon be over and we would be headed out; away from the brashness of this crowd. I had just about begun to believe myself when I had a trickling sound right in front of me. A young boy stood inches ahead on the step below us, relieving himself amid all the rowdiness that surrounded him. With my mouth wide open, I looked beyond him to see his mother smiling away, encouraging him to create his own on-demand toilet. Instantly I looked down at my niece, not knowing how to react at the stunned yet confused look she had plastered all over her face. Hearing a squashing sound I turned around but couldn't locate where it had come from. Was it a bottle or was it a piece of that little girl’s innocence I wondered.

The bugles had stopped and the flags had been lowered. The ‘ladies’ were finally settling down. Some on the surface that had been wetted just minutes before. I started to stop them but then thought the better off it. Probably a bit of them had rubbed on to me.

Finally the retreating ceremony came to an end. Once in a life time experience it was, just as everyone had said it would be. I had gone there hoping to celebrate patriotism but instead saw its entire paradigm being shattered right in front of my eyes. While on one hand I was filled with pride watching women Jawans who protect our borders, on the other I had seen my own kind squelching that very feeling with their terrifying mindsets and mindless encouragement to children to do the wrong thing.

That evening we drowned the voice across the border with our show of 'patriotism'. We must have seemed to stand united in our neighbour’s eyes, only we know how intolerant we were among ourselves.



This post is a narration of my experience of the retreating ceremony at the Wagah border in April 2014.

Top post on IndiBlogger.in, the community of Indian Bloggers

40 comments:

  1. As a Punjabi, whose family has always had emotional ties with Pakistan, I was really really looking fwd to my visit to the Wagah Border. But all the pushing and jostling left a very very bad taste in my mouth, My Mother who had gone there in the 80s says the people were better then. Are we becoming worse with time ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would feel the pain all the more if you go there. The ceremony is lovely no doubt but the crowd ruins it entirely.. yes we are worsening with time...The girl who passed that heinous comment was in her teens.. the uncouth behaviour I saw in her was prevalent among most of the younger folks there...

      Delete
  2. I know the feeling seets. We were seated in the VIP arena and we didnt have to go through this. However, I did see men and women gyrating to songs and the hoots. I for a moment wondered if I was in a movie theatre in a tier 2 city or at the wagah border. That's why when someone asks me if I would like to visit the wagah border again, I always say "No. Once was good enough. I cannot handle rhe unruliness"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were lucky I must say.. the first time we went there we were late and had to watch the ceremony from way behind.. this time we were with family who had never been there so we decided to get there early so that they have a better experience.. little did we know what would be in store for us

      Delete
  3. My husband had gone to the Wagah border two years back and had a terrible experience so we decided to give it a skip when we went. I have heard many horrible tales of pushing and jostling :/.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good decision I tell you... from what I understood from my husband, the men were relatively well behaved.. the women were animals!

      Delete
  4. Yet to visit Wagah Border, but your post makes me want to re-think. Our people at times exhibit such hardheartedness and unacceptable behaviour that one can only wish that we hadn't ever met these species.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its an experience no doubt, if you are able to get hold of VIP tickets then go for it... but if you have to sit in the normal stand, then I wouldn't recommend it, esp. not with kids..

      Delete
  5. I think we lack a sense of basic equities, and I feel sad to say that. And I think most of just ignore the crassness with a 'chaltha hai' attitude. Really sad to read that your experience of this patriotic moment was not as you had expected it to be. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup sab chalta hai, the "I can get away with anything" attitude is bringing our country down...

      Delete
  6. Oh! Due to paucity of time, we missed seeing the Wagah Border. But this kind of insensitive and unruly behavior is totally unacceptable. I cant understand this callous and rudeness which is so prevalent all around us! When will this stop!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you really.. I think the idea of Wagah is a better memory to have rather than actually visiting the place.. and no i doubt it will ever stop :(

      Delete
  7. This, THIS is the reason I never go out for any event where there is likely to be a general crowd. I simply lack the muscle with which to bear the kind of crassness you have had to endure. What happened to the over 5000 years of culture and civilization?

    You have an amazing eye for detail Seeta. And a pen painstaking enough to describe it all so perfectly.

    LOVED this post...! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to adopt the same approach Dagny.. never to go for such an event any more.. I fail to understand where such uncouth behaviour comes from... our history does not teach us this.. where is it coming from? The girl who made that comment disturbed me the most.. this was a young girl being completely insensitive to her own kind, how can we expect men to respect women, when we women cant ourselves.. ? My husband later told me that the crowd was much better behaved in the male gallery.. made me hang my head in shame :(

      Delete
  8. I haven't been there as yet. But any crowded place make me very uneasy. All the pushing and shoving must be a very unpleasant.
    Vivid narration Seeta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I have it in me to do anything like this again.. just this one experience drained me out..

      Delete
  9. Indians have long been intolerant, we just pretend it doesn't exist and we like to believe our own lies. Shashi Tharoor said in his book, The Great Indian Novel, "India is not, as people keep calling it, an underdeveloped country, but rather...a highly developed one in an advanced state of decay."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly an apt definition. wonder if this intolerance will ever end... I shudder to think what will happen of our country if it doesn't...

      Delete
  10. Though I haven't been there myself, I've heard similar stories from the rest of my family (and extended family) who have been there on several separate occasions. I don't care if people call me a-patriotic, this post along with general feedback that I've received has "pushed" me never to visit. Queues are non-existent and it would appear that "civic behaviour" even lesser so. Thankful that you reached back in "one piece" without many tell-a-tale bruises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh trust me, it is anything but being a-patriotic. I would say that is a smart decision, it will keep whatever little feeling of patriotism you have intact..
      Got back just fine, directly went to the Golden Temple for a few moments of quiet and peace...

      Delete
  11. We Indians lack discipline and civic sense. And no amount of education seems to improve this situation...deep down we're all uncouth animals it seems. It's sad but true, Indian culture is really overrated. Why go far, see the queues at rickshaw stands, ticket counters, bus stops...even in places of worship.

    Insightful post.

    -CRD.

    Do drop by mine. I blog at www.scripted insanity.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only place I have seen people showing a sense of decorum and courtesy is at the Golden Temple.. rarely do you see people misbehave there..

      Delete
  12. Like many other readers have said here, I too haven't been at the border but have heard similar horror stories of pushing, shoving and other stuff at this event. In fact last year my sister and her kids went there, and my nephew had his pocket picked in the crowd because of all the craziness going on there. We really need to learn how to behave in public, we can be o-so-proper and civilized in our little homes, but the moment we go out and be a part of the crowd, we somehow lose it all. It is really very distressing and speaks of our lack of respect for an organized collective living. I wonder why the authorities there haven't been able to figure out a way to keep things under control. Surely it is not a rocket science, it just needs some good thinking and organizing skills. I am sure it can be done. If only we get the right kind of people in charge of such things....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like everyone suffers an ordeal at such places.. and esp. at this place! Like you aptly out it, its a crowd mentality. I have never been able to understand why we get affected by it so much...

      Delete
  13. Strangely, for a nation that's forever jostling and pushing ahead and stepping on your toes, we are almost never on time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe true. Kinda tells ya the pathetic state we are in...

      Delete
  14. I was looking forward to my visit there but now I am jittery. She actually stepped on your hand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh she did! Given a choice they would have trample me entirely :|

      Delete
  15. Very nicely written on a topic that never fails to disturb me - Why are we like this ? What is it that forces us to become uncouth, uncultured and totally lack basic civic sense ?
    I wonder whether it is in our genes, our population, our decades of colonial subjugation, lack of self-respect or lack of pride in our culture. Or is this truly our culture - intolerance towards other people/religions or for that matter anybody different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont think this is what our culture was.. it is what we have made it to be.. i think with a general lax in sense and awareness... and it is now so entrenched into our lives that it has become a part of our being.. no longer are we able to differentiate between right and wrong as far as this behaviour goes... we have now made it a part of our culture..

      Delete
  16. OMG that was an absolutely horrendous experience. Thankfully on our visit we were seated in the VIP area and there wasn't much of jostling but I totally echo your sentiments. The whole feeling of patriotism and the pride is washed down by the unruly masses! Quite pathetic! Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you :) but yeah its something you just dont want to remember...

      Delete
  17. Ah! I am not alone then? I mean, I still do not consider being polite and considerate as being the qualities of a 'loser' but, it seems to me, that in India, increasingly, THAT is the mindset. Suffice to say that I have started feeling OLD with me mouthing, "In my times, people were punctual, polite, courteous ..." and get disdainful looks in return :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Maybe I should start saying that, I am sure I'll get more than just disdainful looks but who cares for those looks anyways :P

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow ..! Thanks a lot for telling about this torture ceremony. You know I am gonna encourage my wife to go there next time... im being tortured for last six years... Its time to settle the accounts.
    ...shabab

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, i am sure noone should be subject to this!

      Delete
  20. yes i can vouch for that.. my experience also was not good when i went there.. I came to blows with a person , who was More patriotic to mother india than me .. so when i asked him to stand still and not keep moving his arms in front of me and pushing my mom..
    his patriotism came out.. he had to call his friends over .. anyway

    people have lost the art of being polite lets put it this way ..

    will i go again sometime yes surly i will but it still leaves a bad taste

    Bikram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can completely understand... right now I am not sure if I would want to back though.. maybe to see it from a distance but not in the midst of that crowd..

      Delete
  21. I havent visited the place but I really wanted to. And now reading this, makes me think !! And that remark of not being a molesting boy - that was just ridiculous. You should have given her a mouthful. I mean, such instances just leave you with bad taste and bad memories.

    ReplyDelete
  22. An eye opener to me. I thought we Indians treat women with dignity or maybe I may in a different world :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...