Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Bhaag "Aaji" Bhaag

I think I am growing old. No, I don’t just think, I am sure I am growing old. What else can explain those aching bones and a waist that refuses to bend? Every morning I look for those tell tale signs; that graying strand of hair and the almost invisible wrinkle under the eye. Sighs of relief escape me each time I notice their absence. Oh! It gives such a glorious start to my day. 

If only I would stop at that. But no, I love pulverizing whatever is left of my self confidence; I exercise. Ram Dev ji would be so pleased to see how earnestly I roll out the yoga mat and begin the warm ups. I sail through those mind you; it would make Babaji’s chest puff up with pride. But my happiness is short-lived. Always.  If only exercise was about warm ups, life would have been so much simpler don’t you think? But no, the gods have to conspire and make me remember them all through the ordeal they put me through in the name of exercise. 

I began the regime today, like I do every day. Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out; I told myself and took the plunge, bending forward with my squealing arms only to topple over. Oh, it was a plunge alright. Next I targeted the back which was behaving as stubborn as ever; I didn't have to spend too long ignoring its screams, before I knew it my legs gave up and I came crashing down.  The body had rebelled, like it did every day. Yeah, I was growing old. 

But the eternal optimist in me wouldn't give up. Today would be different. What is it that old people do to stay healthy and fit? Walk! I pulled on the sneakers and walked around the park next door. Briskly at that. Overtaking each grey haired soul I met. Oh was I happy and gay, the glorious start to my day was back! Should I run next? I wondered rather smugly. But some long lost sense woke up in me and made the head vigorously shake a No. Maybe some other day...

It was time to get home, time to take this wonderful start to the day to an even more beautiful end. I switched on the laptop and had just begun relax when I clicked on this video that brought my world crashing down. This “Aaji” had just come along in her “Navvari” to run over my dreams. 


I slammed back in my seat, hearing a stiff muscle let out a spasm in the process. Stifling a groan; I told myself that it was nothing but age catch… Damn! My favourite excuse had just died a sudden death. There went my track suit and running shoes waiting for next year’s resolution. Err… I mean 2015.

Top post on IndiBlogger.in, the community of Indian Bloggers

24 comments:

  1. I wish you all the luck. How about a 10k Marathon by the end of this year? :) Running is fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems like a distant dream right now :P

      Delete
  2. Marathon is new fever among the lazy denizens like us who have abused their bodies all these years so badly.....all the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! But imagine a 66 year old running one, that too barefoot! :)

      Delete
  3. Haha This is the story of my life. Everyday I promise myself to exercise and then promptly forget all about my resolve even before the day ends :) That Ajji deserves an applause :) God knows in what state will we be when we reach 66!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too! Same pinch gal :) and you are so right, i dread to think how I will be by then...

      Delete
  4. i just participated in a marathon...KOCHI INTERNATIONAL HALF MARATHON....Ran 2 kilometres :P
    actually walked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dont worry Red, I am sure I would be giving you company on that one... maybe even crawling my way out ;-)

      Delete
  5. Thinking to do something itself is a good start. :)
    I too was amazed by the lady!Hats off to her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to at least get going with a daily walk and a few exercises.. that lady sure made me feel small and realize how much we all are squandering away. Thanks for stopping by Indrani :)

      Delete
  6. The only advice I would give you is that if you intend to take up running seriously, please do consult your physician and get his/her go ahead before doing so. Running is known to have serious impact if done incorrectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jairam, but I think i'll just stick to taking my exercises seriously right now... :)

      Delete
  7. Best wishes to you to attain all what you set to do!
    Seeta, we are as young or old as we think we are! White strand of hair/wrinkle ko goli maaro & in style- Bhaag Seeta Bhaag & conquer every mile! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said Anita.. but the bones usually beg to differ :P

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I know, isnt it! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  9. Reading your blog was my exercise for the year ! Off to bed I go now !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayyy! Now follow this exercise regimen everyday PB! :)

      Delete
  10. Awesome .... Its been my dream since last year to do a 5K... But like you said, it still looks distant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like many of us are in the same boat! Thanks for stopping by Aparna!

      Delete
  11. Interesting Sometimes people do unexpected things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true.. and it is always a pleasure when you see people like this granny are the source it it :)

      Delete
  12. hehe That was a funny read. But I just can't relate to it. I do yoga regularly! Yes my back bends and the body has grown more flexible with passing time. And I have been brisk walking regularly for more than a decade. The secret is to not treat it as exercise. It is a part of your daily routine just like anything else. And the toughest part is sticking with it. So stay regular and slowly your body will respond. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where are your feet lady! Err..... yeah I can bend enough to touch them :P
      Resolving to do just as you say from now on... :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...